Spiders Web Cake!
This chocolate spider web cake will be the perfect centre piece for your halloween party
Makes a 20cm cake.
For the cake:
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the decoration:
- 142ml double cream
- 100g dark chocolate
- 50g white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160C and grease and line 2x 20cm round tins with baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat the eggs in a jug, then slowly add the egg into the mixture, bit by bit, beating well in between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Carefully fold in the flour and cocoa until just combined. Then spoon the mixture carefully between each tin. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are risen and golden brown and when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once the cakes have cooled, make the ganache. Place the broken up dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl with the cream and golden syrup and melt gently over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir to cool and thicken.
- When the chocolate ganache has thickened, cover the top of one cake and place your second cake on top. Pour the rest of the ganache over the cakes, ensuring you cover the sides and smooth with a palette knife.
- Melt the white chocolate gently in a bowl over a pan of water. Spoon this into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle, then pipe a spiral onto the cake starting from the centre. Take a cocktail stick and draw lines outwards from the centre to form a spider web.
Enjoy your Halloween themed spider web cake!