Custard Cream Biscuits with Strawberry Jam Centre
250g Butter, Softened
75g Icing Sugar
25g Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
100g Custard Powder
225g Plain Flour
125g Butter, Softened
50g Icing Sugar
50g Custard Powder
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Grease 2 x baking sheets
- Beat the butter and both the sugars, with the vanilla until soft, pale and fluffy. Then beat it a bit more – the butter mixture needs to be really soft for this one.
- Add the custard powder and beat well until it is all mixed well, and a pale shade of yellow
- Slowly add the flour until the dough is firm – you need a firm dough that doesn’t stick to your hands or the bowl.
- Roll out the dough to about 3-4mm, and cut out using a small cutter
- Carefully lift your cut-out biscuits onto a tray lined with parchments and pop them into fridge to chill. This helps the biscuit to hold its shape with the butter melts in the oven.
- Bake the biscuits for approx. 6 minutes, then turn the tray and bake for another 5.
- Allow the biscuits to cool on the tray before transferring onto a cooling rack,
- For the buttercream, weigh all the ingredients into a bowl and beat them together until nice and fluffy,
- Pipe the buttercream in a ring around the edge of one biscuit, fill the centre in Jam and squish another on top. Dust with icing sugar to finish.